Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Six tips to improve online discussions

When working with online students in discussion groups I find that the following six techniques to be helpful.


First, I refrain from placing more than eight or nine students in one group. Just as I would not place all students in a classroom in one group, I also divide enrolled online students into smaller groups. I suggest eight or nine as a maximum number as this is more manageable than working with a larger group. For example, my online classes, as a rule, have 28 students enrolled in each class. Tracking the threads of a discussion group with 28 students is not possible. My classroom discussion groups have four or five students, but as a rule a few online students will not participate and so it is not much of a discussion if the number start to fall for any one group. That is why I recommend eight or nine, to give a cushion, so to speak, to the numbers and to keep the discussion lively.

Second, I place students alphabetically in a group. I do not think it matters much to be more random than this. However, I do place students with the same last names in separate groups. I do not want a husband-wife to be in the same group. I just want to be sure they have different experiences.

Third, I find it useful to enter the groups as the instructor and post remarks right along with the students. This allows me to nudge conversations forward. I point out where students need more complete answers or when they are not actually answering the questions that were asked.

Fourth, I ask that an original posting from the students be made at least two days ahead of the final deadline. I always ask for at least two more responses to classmates, for a total of three postings. I never allow all three postings to be made on the same day. This keeps students from merely trying to gain the points and also encourages them to participate in a true discussion.

Fifth, I include a rubric that shows the students how they will be evaluated. This helps to standardize my grading and more importantly improves the dialogue.

Finally, I often will create two or even three different topics for discussion. This helps me as an instructor to see variety in the thinking of the students and also assures that students in different groups are not copying each other’s work.

No comments: